I’m a bit late on the house progress updates, but here is finally the underslab plumbing, insulation and the slab pour.
Before the foundation was filled in, we put in our foundation drain. It was the last thing left to do with before everything getting filled in. This wasn’t too bad of a task, it just required some time.
We filled the foundation with self consolidating stone. This allowed for less tamping down when the foundation was being filled. It was so nice to finally have everything filled in and be out of the mud. At the same time, it was a bit sad to see all that work get covered up.
Nathan in the filled in foundation.
Once the foundation was filled in, we started the rough in for the plumbing. We have one bathroom on the first floor, the kitchen and the laundry room. We plan on using an air admittance valve in the kitchen and the laundry room for venting. For the bathroom, it will be vented into the attic where it will attach to the main stack and go out through the attic. We also had to rough-in the drain for the upstairs bathroom. Originally we were going to put the drain in the wall, but decided instead to have it more inset and build a bulkhead around it in the kitchen. Finally, we put in a radon vent. We are in a higher radon area, so it made sense to do it right away and for the $50 it cost to put in, it seemed like something silly to skip on. Also, because we are covering all of these with concrete, we upsized almost all the sewer pipes in order to reduce the chances of issues in the future. We also measured our slope often and made sure if it was off, it was sloped slightly more rather than slightly less than required.
We had to send my brother a lot of pictures and text him quite a bit to make sure everything was looking good. Big thanks to him for helping us out with drawings and answering all our texts.
Kitchen and sewer stack for upstairs bathroom.
All the first floor plumbing.
Another view of the plumbing.
Once the underslab pluming was set, we were able to start insulating under the slab. We put 4″ of insulation under our slab to ensure that it will be comfortable to stand on during all seasons. With that much insulation, it shouldn’t feel cold on our feet in the winter. Over the insulation we put down vapor barrier and followed by remesh. The slab was then ready to be poured.
Insulating under the slab.
Poly vapour barrier and remesh installed.
Our excavator poured the slab for us. So far, we love how it looks. The goal was to finish the slab so we could live on it for a few years and hopefully keep loving it and not cover it up, or if we decide we do want to cover it, we have time to decide with what and how. We covered the slab with burlap after it was poured and kept it wet for a few days. It’s been curing nicely and it’s also getting a more even colour. As the sun hits it during the day, at night it stays fairly warm and emits the heat. It’s a good thing we oriented the home so that minimal sun would enter during the summer months.
The slab 🙂
Having some coffee in my living room!
Another thing that was completed was dropping the well pump, and running all the pipe and wire for the well pump. This was a very intimidating task that actually ended up being less of a big deal than we thought. Everything went well and now we have water and saved ourselves about $2,000 by installing it ourselves 🙂 Nathan needed to first drill a hole through the cast iron casing. From there, we could connect the pitless adapter. Once the pitless adapter was installed, it was time to wire and plumb the well pump and finally drop it down 200 feet. From the well to the house, we ran everything through a corrugated pipe in order to protect the wire and the poly pipe a bit more. We also put 2 inches of insulation over the water line in the ground and in the shallower spots, about 4 inches. I don’t think our water lines will be freezing in the winter. We attached a plug to the well pump and hooked it to a generator so we could finally try that water. It was cold and it was delicious. The only place it compares to are a mountain stream in Montana that we drank from when we were hiking.
Nathan drilled a hole slowly in the cast iron casing.
Here are Nathan and his dad dropping the well pump into the well.
Looking down the well to where the pitless adapter sits.
Insulation running over the underground water line.
Our delicious well water.
I packed a lot into this post, but I’m about 2 months behind in my postings, so there will be more to come shortly.